1. Free Up Disk Space by eliminating junk files and unused programs from your computer
- Remove temporary Internet files.
- Empty the Recycle Bin.
- Remove Windows temporary files.
- Uninstall Programs that you no longer use.
2. Periodically perform Hard Disk Defragmentation.
- Goto Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System tools
- Open the Disk Defragmentor program
- Click on Analyze Disk
3. Clean Up your Registry (Highly Recommended)
Cleaning up your Windows registry plays a major role in increasing the speed of your computer. Unfortunately, Windows doesn’t provide any in built tool for cleaning the registry. So, you have to use a commercial registry Cleaner like PC Health Advisor to do this.
Every time you install/uninstall a program or make changes to your computer, a new entry is added to the registry. So, with the passage of time, a large amount of unwanted or invalid entries will get accumulated which begins to clog your registry. This will result in decreased performance of your PC causing error messages and system crashes.
So, clean up your registry on a regular basis to keep your computer performance at it’s best. You can download PC Health Advisor from the following link:
4. Remove Unwanted Programs from the Start-Up
- Type msconfig in Run dialog box and hit Enter.
- Now in the System Configuration window, goto Startup tab
- Uncheck unwanted programs that you wish to remove from the start-up programs
5. Scan for Malware programs like viruses and spyware
The presence of virus and spyware programs can bring down the performance of your computer down to it’s knees. So install a good antivirus software and keep it updated so as to stay away from malware programs. For more information on virus protection